Richmond, CA (Profitable.com) California based solar hot water equipment manufacturer…
CUPERTINO, Calif. (Profitable.com) Trend Micro unveiled Trend Micro™ Online Guardian for Families today, the company’s first product designed for parents concerned about their kids’ social networking activities. With comprehensive parental controls, social network monitoring, and Internet filtering, Trend Micro Online Guardian gives parents the tools they need to keep up with their children’s Internet and social networking activities and take action to keep them safe while they are using their cell phones, tablets, laptops, and desktops.
“Keeping our kids safe online is critical. As busy parents who may or may not have the technical know-how, it’s hard to keep up with our kids online,” said Carol Carpenter, executive general manager for the consumer and small business units at Trend Micro and also a mother of two digitally-savvy kids. “Our vision with Trend Micro Online Guardian is to provide the tools and information for parents to become aware of their kids’ online activities, to generate healthy family dialogue, and to prevent problems before they happen.”
Social Networking: New Generation Communication for Cyber Teen- and Tweenagers
Over 90 percent of kids aged 12 to 17 are on the Internet and over 70 percent of teens have a social networking profile (1). To fully attain the social networking sites’ benefits, these sites require users to provide personal information. While social networks are heavily used by millions to keep relatives up-to-date, find lost friends, or make new ones, they can also be popular places for people who have bad intentions. Risks such as unwanted contact, scams or identity theft, computer security issues, cyberbullying, and harming one’s reputation are things parents need to watch out for.
Privacy and Safety Are A Concern…But Action Is Needed
While young adults and teenagers are concerned about the risks that come with social networking sites, they don’t always act on that concern.
- 68 percent of teens have at some point accepted friend requests from people they don’t know.
- 31 percent of teens have shared content on social networking sites they do not want their family or teachers to see.
- 18 percent of teens have been disciplined as a result of sharing something on a social network.
- While 56 percent of teen girls feel social networks help them feel more connected to friends, 68 percent have reported having negative experiences on them (2).
“There are times in kids’ development when a little up-front Internet monitoring can be helpful to kids as well as the parents. One of those times is when kids are heading into middle school and engaging in social networking, another is when a child seems extra vulnerable,” said Anne Collier, co-director of ConnectSafely.org. “Then it’s great when parents use tech tools for talking points in the kind of calm, ongoing family discussion that really protects kids online and offline.”
Trend Micro Online Guardian Benefits
Using the Internet is an important life skill for kids; using it for school work, socializing, and entertainment are a permanent part of their lives. It is important then to teach kids to use it wisely and safely. Trend Micro Online Guardian provides parents with extra parental control resources and tools to stay informed. It gives them the ability to approach concerns proactively and to help encourage children to make smart online choices. Trend Micro Online Guardian helps parents protect their kids against Internet dangers, including cyberbullying and online predators. In one easy-to-read report, users get a clear view of what their kids are doing on the web.
Trend Micro Online Guardian Features
With Trend Micro Online Guardian, parents have the tools they need to spot a problem before their child gets into trouble. Trend Micro Online Guardian allows parents to:
- Monitor Internet activities 24/7 on web sites like Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, YouTube, and Flickr.
- View browsing history, wall postings, messages, photos and videos (shared and viewed), and chat logs to help prevent damage to their reputation.
- Stop access to adult and other inappropriate content.
- Limit Internet time and set daily access schedules.
- Block sharing of personal information to shield kids from online predators, identity thieves and cybercriminals.
- Install on as many computers as needed and monitor up to five children.
How is Trend Micro Online Guardian Different?
- Trend Micro Online Guardian requires kids’ permission to allow their parents to monitor them; thus allowing parents to get reporting on non-public information while other products only report public information.
- Once activated, privacy settings within Facebook and MySpace won’t stop Trend Micro Online Guardian from monitoring activities.
- Once Trend Micro Online Guardian begins monitoring the child’s account, it reports on activities happening from any location, even those outside of the home (friend’s house, school, cell phone, etc).
- The online management console allows parents to access the latest information from anywhere in the world.
· For press presentation, screen shots and product data sheet, please visit our online media kit for more information.
· Watch a video demo of Trend Micro Online Guardian.
· Trend Micro’s Internet Safety for Kids & Families mission is to enable and empower kids, parents, teachers, and schools around the world to make the Internet a safe and secure place for today’s youth. Visit Internet Safety for Kids and Families for free Internet safety tips, tools and advice.
· Find advice for Families & Schools from Trend Micro Internet Safety for Kids & Families at the Internet Safety blog.
Availability, Prices and Requirements
Trend Micro Online Guardian will be available for purchase at a retail price of USD$49.95 starting March 7, 2011 in the U.S. through retailers and the Trend Micro online store. It will also be available through retail channel partners in select countries worldwide, and at various retail locations online.
Trend Micro Online Guardian supports Microsoft Windows® 7 Family; Windows Vista® Family, Service Pack 1 or higher; and Windows® XP Family (32 bit or higher), Service Pack 3 or higher. For Windows 7 and Vista 1GB memory is recommended; for Windows XP 512MB is recommended.
About Trend Micro
Trend Micro Incorporated, a global leader in Internet content and server security, focuses on securing the exchange of digital information for businesses and consumers. A pioneer and industry vanguard, Trend Micro is advancing integrated threat management technology to protect operational continuity, personal information, and property from malware, spam, data leaks and the newest Web threats. Visit TrendWatch to learn more about the latest threats. Trend Micro’s flexible solutions, available in multiple form factors, are supported 24/7 by threat intelligence experts around the globe. Many of these solutions are powered by the Trend Micro™ Smart Protection Network™ cloud security infrastructure, a next-generation cloud-client innovation that combines sophisticated cloud-based reputation technology, feedback loops, and the expertise of TrendLabsSM researchers to deliver real-time protection from emerging threats. A transnational company, with headquarters in Tokyo, Trend Micro’s trusted security solutions are sold through its business partners worldwide. Please visit Trend Micro.com.
(1) Pew & Girl Scouts of America, Feb 2011 http://www.pewinternet.org/Presentations/2011/Feb/PIP-Girl-Scout-Webinar.aspx
(2) TRUSTe, October 2010 — http://www.truste.com/privacy_seals_and_services/consumer_privacy/social_networking_survey.html